Today marks the first official day of Autumn, the season of falling leaves, pumpkin spiced lattes, and the comfort of boots. Of course, no season is complete without books, and this year is notorious for completely ignoring her set tbr list, but tentatively hopes to have read at least one of these books before the winter season hits us.
1. Jade War by Fonda Lee: If you have not yet heard of this urban fantasy epic, I suggest you get it on your radar. The first instalment of the Green Bone Saga, Jade City, was a thrilling and immersive introduction to the island of Kekon. Between its world-building, its sensory enhancing use of Jade, and the cast of flawed yet endearing characters, this series is one that will blow your mind and crush your heart. Sign me up for this sequel.
2. The Poppy War by R. F. Kuang: This is a book I’ve been planning to read for a while now, but I know that it’s an intense read, one that does not shy away from the brutality of history, but I’m 99.9% certain it will be worth every tear I shed.
3. The Bride Test by Helen Hoang: I adored The Kiss Quotient and sometimes those cosy autumnal days require a sweet romance to put you in a good mood. This gem has been sitting on my kindle the minute I finished TKQ, and it’s high time I got it off the unread pile.
4. Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin: Technically this book has been carried over from my spring/summer TBR, but I feel like this book has the right kind of atmosphere that makes it a perfect autumnal read. You have witchcraft, magic, and enemies to lovers romance that’s bound to sizzle. Sign me up!
5. Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik: Another book gathering dust on my shelf, but one that’s bound to be spellbinding and addictive. Who doesn’t love a loose mythological retelling, one that’s full of captivating imagery and stunning prose?