Say goodbye to summer and get those knitted jumpers and boots out. Autumn is here, and already there’s a slight chill in the air. It is pumpkin spice latte season, and who isn’t ready for the falling leaves and cosy nights? Before we welcome this new season, let’s take the time to look back on blogging and life highlights from August.
TV & Film
- 9th: TV Talk – 5 Reasons to Watch Netflix’s Dark
- 19th: TV Talk: Reasons to Watch The Umbrella Academy (Season 2)
- 22nd: Midnight Movies – Stylish Thrillers & Disappointing Remakes
- 31st: Midnight Movies – Why You Need to Watch Parasite
Top Ten Tuesday
Favourite Posts in July
- Kat @ Life and Other Disasters perfectly outlines why you need to be watching Stargirl.
- Ness @ The Wolf and Books talks about the two changes in her blogging habits moving forward.
- Lashaan @ Bookidote looks at the social side of blogging and asks what makes us follow blogs?
- Trang @ Bookidote spotlights the hard truth of blog stats.
- Marie @ Drizzle and Hurricane Books talks about her biggest book hangovers.
- The Orangutan Librarian discusses her thoughts on minimalism and Marie Kondo.
- The Brown Eyed Bookworm shares some bookstagram question ideas and how to get people commenting.
- Krysta @ Pages Unbound spotlights 5 misconceptions about public libraries.
Books – While I didn’t finish any book, August was still a partial reading success as this reader finally got her hands on Jade City. I’m a notoriously slow reader, especially when life/work duties keep me busy, but I can confirm that Jade City is a beautiful and brutal as I’d predicted. My heart is in turmoil, but I will fiercely defend the No Peak clan with my life. If you’re looking for a book riddled with brilliant family dynamics, political and clan warfare, and magic, then you will surely love Jade City.
TV & Movies – Highlights for Augst have to be The Umbrella Academy and Parasite. For more details, be sure to check out my reviews on both show and film, and see if they convince you to watch them. However, one of the best shows I finally caught up on was Free! Iwatobi Swim Club. I’m no anime expert, but I have a weakness for stunning artwork and sports anime. For three seasons, Free! combines both of these qualities and treats viewers to a lovely story of rivalry, friendship, and brotherhood in the world of competitive swimming. It also explores that transition from competing on a high school level to college/global stage and the pressure that comes with it. Swimming has never been so beautiful. I only wish I could meet these characters in real life.
Music – It’s not often I talk about music, but music is a constant presence in my life. August’s musical highlight has got to be Biffy Clyro’s new album, which has been on repeat on my drive to work. I’ve also been listening to a lot of TV and movies scores, with Free! Eternal Summer being my go-to soundtrack. There’s nothing more soothing than instrumental music, and it’s a great way to unwind after a long day. What have you been listening to?
Life – I wish I had something exciting to report, but in all honesty, most of my days have been spent working. We did have some extraordinary weather in August with epic thunderstorms spanning hours into the night. Anyone who knows me knows that I have childlike glee when it comes to thunder and lightning. I could, and did, spend hours just watching the storm. It’s better than television. This girl has also joined the houseplant family, with my lovely Fittonia becoming a welcome addition to the room. Here’s hoping I don’t kill the plant.
I don’t know about you, but this girl is dying for an adventure. Thankfully, I have a week off of work that, weather depending, will give me time to go out and explore. I have a go with the flow mentality, so there’s nothing specific on the cards this month, but I do plan on devouring Jade City and get my hands on its sequel, Jade War.