We all have our favourite authors, those whose books are so captivating and memorable that any time news of their next book airs has you automatically adding it to your basket. These are my auto-buy authors.
1. V. E. Schwab: Schwab is a powerhouse in fantasy writing. Her Shades of Magic series is one of my all-time favourite fantasy franchises and what makes her an auto-buy author is that I can always count on her to create an immersive fantasy world without sacrificing the pacing of the book or the character arcs.
2. Laini Taylor: When it comes to magical writing, Laini Taylor takes the crown. She is a wizard with words and her stories are always captivating and dreamlike. Her Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy transported you to a world of gods and monsters, while Strange the Dreamer takes you to this dreamlike world that’s grounded in its humanity.
3. Leigh Bardugo: Bardugo’s Six of Crows duology solidified her place as a Young Adult fantasy powerhouse. Her morally complex characters and intricately crafter storytelling keeps readers at the edge of their seats from the very first page. Within her fantasy worlds, Bardugo also doesn’t hesitate to tackle tough issues that shape our characters and establishes compelling relationships between them.
4. Marie Rutkoski: I am forever waiting to get my hands on Rutkoski’s next book. Her Winner’s Trilogy is the most heartbreaking yet fulfilling series I’ve ever read. Opting to forego the traditional magical fantasy route, Rutkoski’s writing reads more like a historical fantasy with the focus being on intricate political manipulation and strategy than magic. On top of that, Rutkoski isn’t afraid to put her characters through the wringer, but their experiences never feel like a plot device and instead uses them as a way to explore the complexities of our favourite characters.
5. Heather Demetrios: I spend a lot of time on this blog shouting my love of I’ll Meet You There to the world. Demetrios became an auto-buy author after I experienced the hard yet beautiful journey of Skylar and Josh. Demetrios creates characters that are so real you feel like you’ve known them your entire lives. She doesn’t glorify this contemporary society and really drives home the destructive nature of humans, but also makes a point of showing the beauty in this messy world.
6. Melina Marchetta: One of the most versatile authors I’ve ever come across, Melina Marchetta will always be an auto-buy author for me. From her richly captivating fantasy trilogy to her raw and gritty contemporaries, Marchetta always is similar to Heather Demetrios in the way she captures the very best and worst in humanity. The relationship between her characters are so relatable and makes it easy to connect with their experiences regardless of which genre she’s writing for.
7. Markus Zusak: The Book Thief is a book that has haunted me from the very moment I read it. It was a harrowing tale that really drove home the destructive nature of war. There are no winners in times of war, and having Death narrate this story made it all the more powerful. His other books are equally as compelling, making him an auto-buy author.
Who are your auto-buy authors?