Everyone loves a good villain. We love to hate some characters and a good villain is one that is unrelenting in his villainous acts. Now, some of the characters on my list might not be villains to us readers, but in their world, they’re usually the mastermind of all the chaos that surrounds them, making them very powerful and influential people.
1. Levana, The Lunar Chronicles: She is unapologetic in her quest to be the last one standing. Her methods of brutality know no ends. I mean, she had the person she professed to love killed, her niece killed and tormented the lives of all those around her just so she could expand her power and influence.
2. Osaron, Shades of Magic: Never has a magic been such a douche. These guys manipulative and power hunger mechanisms gave our main character’s some trouble. You could understand the pull this guy had over our Antari, especially Holland. He tapped into their deepest wants and desires and manipulated it for his own advantage.
3. Eli/Victor, Vicious: It’s hard to really know who the villain in this tale is. Both men have committed atrocious acts, but it’s the ways in which they interact with each other that’s fascinating. These two men, once like brothers, will do whatever it takes to see the ruin of the other. This is also a reminder to me to read Vengeful.
4. BeiTech Industries, The Illuminae Files: Well, when a company like this decides it all well and good to murder the occupants of Kerenza IV and all the fleeing survivor, then yes I’d say this qualifies as evil. The lengths these guys will go to cover their tracks is horrid.
5. The Sea Queen, To Kill a Kingdom: This woman thrives on the pain she instills on others. She torments everyone around her and her daughter, Lira has it worse than anyone. The Sea Queen is the definition of vindictive.
6. Kaz Brekker, Six of Crows: Controversial. Trust me when I say that I will go to the ends of the earth to protect Kaz Brekker, but the reality is, to most people he is considered the villain of society. He’s lethal in every possible way, and this Bastard of the Barrel image is something he has taken care to develop himself. Publically, it’s clear that he thrives on being a villain. Lucky for us we know he has a soft side, and that he would crawl to save those he truly cares about.
7. General Trajan, The Winner’s Trilogy: Some may argue that the Emperor himself if the main villain, but I think General Trajan’s actions are far worse than the Emperors. I can’t say much due to spoilers, but the ways in which he betrayed Kestrel, his own daughter, is heinous. The fact that a father would condemn his daughter to such a fate is unforgivable.
Do you have a favourite villain?