This week is all about TV and Films. This year I have been watching more than my usual quote of TV and Films. With this reading slump in full swing, the easiest way to fill the void is to watch everything and anything. However, some films and shows stick with you for longer, and these are my recommended must watch TV and Films.
My go-to binge-watching programme. Now, there are faults to this show, particularly to the habit of killing off every awesome female character on the show, but it is still a personal favourite of mine. The heart of this show will always be the relationship between Dean and Sam, but they also do a phenomenal job of balancing those dark plot heavy episodes with the monster of the day ones, and their brilliant comedy episodes.
2. Friends: How could you not have Friends on this list. This show is a timeless classic. I have watched this show over and over and I am still howling with laughter by the end. I don’t think any show can reach the level of epicness that was Friends.
3. Violet Evergarden:
The artwork in this show is stunning. When it comes to anime I’m picky about the ones I choose to watch, but Violet Evergarden has elements of everything I love about anime. The development of Violet’s character is a particular highlight of the show, demonstrating the various lives she’s touched while she comes to understand the nature of humans and her own feelings.
4. Grimm: It took two tries but I can finally understand the hype surrounding this show. It’s a brilliant take on the Grimm fairytales, but still has layers of depth and intrigue to the overriding plot.
Brace yourselves because I have a post lined up that is basically just gushing about my love for this show. I started watching it about four years ago but didn’t make it that far in before giving up. Fast forward and I found myself in the mood to watch it and I will tell you that this show will put you through the wringer. The history of the Vikings has always fascinated me, and while some aspects of the show are obviously not a true reflection of that time, the dynamic between the Anglo-Saxon kings and the Norsemen is beautifully developed. If you enjoyed the BBC’s Last Kingdom, then you will LOVE the Vikings. The acting is phenomenal, the story gripping, and the characters that will make you love and hate them all the same.
1. Marvel Franchise Film: I could have singled out one of the films in this franchise, but the truth is you can’t really go wrong with any of the Marvel films. If you love your superhero stories, this franchise has something for everyone. If you are looking for specific recommendations my personal favourites are Black Panther, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Avengers: Infinity Wars.
2. Eddie the Eagle:
The ultimate feel-good film. I dare you all to watch this film and not smile at the end. Based on true events, the chemistry between Taron Egerton and Hugh Jackman is golden. They play so well off each other and I would absolutely love them to star alongside each other again in the future.
3. Kimi No Na Wa (Your Name): I’ve only watched a small handful of anime films, and as much as I enjoyed the others, Your Name is the one that stood out the most. I’ve always appreciated the artwork of anime films and TV shows and this was no exception. Combine that with a beautiful soundtrack and engaging storyline, and you’ve found yourself a hit.
4. Lion King:
Let me make it clear, you are NEVER too old to watch Disney films. Lion King was my go-to when I was a kid and I still love it as an adult. Disney films are perfect for every occasion, but even more so after a long day and you’re too tired to watch anything that requires a lot of focus.
5. Lord of the Rings: My all-time favourite franchise. Anyone that enjoys an epic fantasy with an amazing cast, brilliant cinematography, incredible battle scenes, and a phenomenal soundtrack, this is the film for you.
On the to-watch list
1. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before: How can I not have this on the list? This film has taken the world by storm and I am sad to report that I have still not watched it. I’m currently too consumed by the Vikings to watch anything else right now. I’ve read all the reviews, but still haven’t read the books, but I am so excited to see this film.
2. Dirk Gentley’s Holistic Detective Agency: This show looks so wonderfully quirky. That’s all I can say about this show, and anyone who knows me knows I love my shows to be on the quirky side.
3. Set it Up: After seeing Kat take over my timeline with her love for this film so I had to add it to my to-watch list. You can’t go wrong with a good romantic comedy and this one looks right up my alley.
4. Crazy Rich Asians: I am loving the fact that this film has taken the spotlight for the Summer. The hype for this film is unreal, but it deserves all of it. This is the kind of film that you’d re-watch time and time again.
5. Stranger Things: Everyone knows that I have a terrible habit of starting shows and leaving them unfinished. This is one of them. I made it about 5 episodes before I found myself in the mood to watch something else. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the episodes I did watch and have full intentions of going back to it, but at the time I just wasn’t in the mood to continue with it.
6. Sons of Anarchy: I made it three episodes into the first series before turning to watch something else. I enjoyed it but couldn’t find it in myself to commit to it. I have always been fascinated by this show and the biker gang mentality.
Those are my must-watch TV and Film recommendations.
What’s your favourite TV show/film?