Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish where we get a new topic for a top 10 list.
Confession. I don’t read a lot of books that have school settings. I don’t know why I don’t but I know I’m more of a summer contemporary, fantasy adventure girl. However, there are a few school set books that I have enjoyed and think do a good job of navigating the issues that teens face in school. These are the books I have read and plan on reading that are set in school.
Books with school settings I have read
1. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell: Fangirl does a great job at capturing the experiences of your first year at university and the struggles that come with it.
2. The Deal by Elle Kennedy: Not as academically focused but it does take place at college and our two main characters, Hannah and Garret, initially come together because Garrett needs tutoring. I’d say this book looks more at the student night life haha.
3. Walk the Edge by Katie McGarry: Only partially set in school but our main character, Breanna, is a genius and one of her hopes in this book is to find classes and projects that actually challenge her. The book also looks at the effects of the rumour mill in high school and the misconceptions that come with it.
4. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins: This book had me wishing I did a year abroad in school.
5. Play On by Michelle Smith: There’s a greater focus on the sports in the book but our narrator, Austin, has to maintain his grades if he wants to stay on the team so he enlists Marisa, the new girl in town to help him out.
Books with school setting I plan on reading.
1. Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta: You can’t go wrong with a Marchetta book and I think the dynamic between the guys and girls in this once all boy school will be interesting.
2. The Hard Count by Ginger Scott: Again, a more sports orientated book but I do like the fact that people get so engrossed in sports in school. We didn’t really have that in my school.
3. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell: I’ll admit the characters intrigue me more than the school does but I want to see what this school setting has to offer.
4. Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling: The most magical school of our time. I don’t know when I’ll read this book but I love the idea of Hogwarts and would definitely like to spend some time there.
5. Wait for You by Jennifer L. Armentrout: Another university based book and I don’t really know what to expect from it but I hope it explores the challenges and adjustments that come with starting university.
Those are the school settings that I’ve read and plan on reading.
Which book with a school setting would you recommend?
10 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: Books With a School Setting”
I love that you have The Hard Count and The Deal on here! Two of my favorite books. 🙂 Nice list.
Check out my TTT list of Collegiate Fiction. 🙂
You had some great pics! My TTT
I thought “Anna and the French Kiss” was an amazing read, and am glad to see a novel by Katie McGarry on this list. She’s a novelist I’ve been curious about for a while now. 🙂
This is such an amazing list!! I love Anna, Carry On and Fangirl. I really want to read PLay On, The Deal and HP of course.
I always think about Stephanie Perkins books when someone mentions books with school settings. My favorite is Lola! 😀 Great Top Ten!
My Top Ten Tuesday!
Sigh…yet another reminder to read Fangirl! I gotta get on it!
My TTT: https://bookclubbabe.net/2016/08/30/top-ten-tuesday-classic-books-all-children-need-to-read/
Ah you definitely need to read Harry Potter, it’s so good!
My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/30/top-ten-tuesday-72/
Fangirl is one of my all time favourite books!
[…] Top Ten Tuesday 2nd August: Books I’d Buy Instantly 9th August: Book BFF’s 16th August: Book Settings I’d Like to Visit 23rd August: Books Gathering Dust on my TBR Shelf 30th August: Books With a School Setting […]
The Deal and Anna are two of my favorite books!
Nereyda│ Nick & Nereyda’s Infinite Booklist