Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish where we get a new topic for a top 10 list.
Summertime and sunshine. The Sun has finally shown it’s face and I am basking in it’s glow. When Summer hits, I find myself drawn to contemporary books. I just enjoy the combination of the summer adventures, romance, laughter and hidden depths that come with these books. I find they make the perfect beach reads. Here are 10 books I either have read or want to read this summer.
1. Nowhere but Here by Katie McGarry: A sizzling romance, secrets, family and bikers. This book has a lot going for it. From Emily and Oz’s connection to the exploration of Emily’s relationship with her absent father, all taking place in that Kentucky heat. It’s definitely one to add to the list
2. Emmy and Oliver by Robin Benway: This book is so sweet and had a surprising amount of heart to it. Watching Emmy and Oliver reconnect after 10 years apart was so sweet. It’s also one of those books that sees the parents have a physical presence in their children’s lives and I loved exploring that dynamic. Plus, Emmy is a surfer so it makes sense to read this as you watch them catch some waves.
3. I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson: This book is not as light or fluffy as other contemporary books. This book is emotional, heartbreaking, frustrating, but most of all hopeful. I loved exploring the dynamic between twins, Noah and Jude. I’ll Give You the Sun packed a lot of punches and is definitely worth the read
4. Night Owls by Jenn Bennett: Night Owls had me wishing I could hop on a plane and explore the wonderful city of San Francisco. Again, this book has a stunning romance between two characters that actually communicate with one another. There’s no unnecessary drama between these two which was just so refreshing to read about.
5. The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson: Morgan Matson is the go-to author for summer reads. The Unexpected Everything is next on my to be read list and I am so excited to meet these new characters and see what shenanigans they get up to.
6. Summer Days & Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories edited by Stephanie Perkins: A perfect beach read. I loved the Winter Anthology so naturally I’ll be picking this book up. When I’m not in the mood to read a full length novel, I can simply turn to this collection of short stories written by some of the most talented YA authors.
7. Boomerang by Noelle August: Hilariously sexy. the banter between Ethan and Mia is everything and their chemistry is off the charts. No doom and gloom in this NA novel. Instead you can sit back, relax and soak up the sun whilst reading this wonderful book.
8. First & Then by Emma Mills: I love the book cover for First & Then and the premise sounds like a lot of fun. I can see this book being a quick and easy read which makes it perfect for a day on the beach.
9. The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler: I’ve only read one Sarah Ockler book and I loved it so I am excited to get my hand on The Summer of Chasing Mermaids. Plus this book is a loosely-based fairy tale retelling of The Little Mermaid. What more could you possibly want?
10. The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi: The only fantasy book on today’s list. I must admit the book cover just completely captivated me and I can easily see myself being sucked into this world as I soak up the sun.
Those are my beach read recommendations.
Which books would you take to the beach?