Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish where we get a new topic for a top 10 list.
This week is all about characters that everyone seems to love but I just don’t see the appeal. This was a tough topic for me because I’m either indifferent to a character a or just don’t care about them so I had to think hard about the ones that I remember provoking a negative reaction from me.
1. Simon from The Mortal Instruments: This was an easy choice. I just thought he was annoying. I didn’t feel anything for him and most of the time when he appeared I found myself rolling my eyes.
2. Jason from The Heroes of Olympus: I felt like Jason was being shoved down my throat for most of this series like he was Percy’s replacement or something. I don’t find his character interesting and to me he didn’t have much of a personality.
3. Bitterblue from The Graceling Realm: I didn’t like her when she appeared in Graceling and then when I read her book, Bitterblue, I found that I still didn’t care about her or her situation.
4. Lola from Lola and the Boy Next Door: It’s not that I don’t like her it’s more that I just don’t care about her. I wasn’t invested in her story and while I admired her confidence in embracing her quirky style, I just couldn’t find any connection with her.
5. Sloane from Since You’ve Been Gone: The more I read about Emily coming out of her comfort zone and developing friendships outside of Sloane, the more my interest in her disappearance dwindled. Plus as I was reading the flashbacks I thought she was quite manipulative in some ways and it rubbed me the wrong way.
6. Adam from The Raven Cycle: Hold the pitchforks and hear me out here. Adam has grown a lot over the course of the books but in the beginning he irked me a lot. While I sympathised with his situation I felt like he took this “woe is me” persona to the extreme.
7. Eleanor and Park: I read this book because I’d heard so many people raving about it. However, as I was reading it I didn’t really feel anything. I was basically numb and I just read it so I could basically finish it. I was really sad when I finished it and didn’t love it like I was hoping to.
8. Froi from The Lumatere Chronicles: I think one of the reasons I’ve been putting off reading the sequel in this series is because of the fact that Froi takes the lead in the narrative. Finnikin stole my heart in the first book but Froi and I had some MAJOR issues. Granted he did show signs of improvement by the end but it wasn’t enough to make me completely love him. I hope when I do read the sequel I end up appreciating him a lot more but at the moment Finnikin still has my heart.
9. Tris from The Divergent Trilogy: When I first read this series I thought it was epic. However, as time passes and more books are added to my reading pile, I found Divergent to be lacking. Thinking back I don’t actually remember swooning over this series that much and Tris’ actions in Insurgent just pissed me off for the most part.
10. Ben Parish from The 5th Wave: Bleh. I enjoyed The 5th Wave for the most part but reading Ben’s passages just bored me. I didn’t care about him one bit and the fact that his character was also included to open up this love triangle put me off big time.
Those are the characters I just don’t like. Who don’t you like?